December 4, 2012

Night by Elie Wiesel



Night
Author: Elie Wiesel
Series: Standalone
Pages: 120
Publisher: Hill and Wang
Release Date: 1958
Summary:
Night A terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into an agonized witness to the death of his family...the death of his innocence...and the death of his God. Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary Of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again.



Review:

This book was a class assignment and I normally tend to really like Holocaust books, which made me even the more excited to read this. I think what I love the most about Holocaust books is that this actually happened and learning what these people went through really breaks my heart. Night was another one of those stories that touched my heart.
Elie is only fourteen years old when he enters the concentration camps. Wow! I am not much older than him I could not imagine doing the things he did. Elie was a powerful, brave boy, but not to brave because he knew what he couldn’t and could do. Elie was a scared boy in this point and time and reading this is so powerful it makes me scared. Honestly, if I was him I don’t know how I would have reacted. When I read Holocaust it seems so crazy and unreal and when the realization always comes back to me that this is real life it hits hard.
Elie not only is a brave and powerful boy, he really touched my heart by the simple things he did. He cared so much for his father that he was unwilling to let him go because without him, he decided he had nothing to live for. When, Elie’s dad is beaten I really feel the pain he feels; He would do anything for his father. Even, towards the end Elie did everything he could to help his father.
What Elie went through is truly amazing! He did everything he could to survive, along with taking care of his dad. In the end, I was so happy for him, but also sad at what had happened in the end because he had hardly any family left and he just didn’t know what to feel after that.
How Elie ends this story is very hollow and effective, I had to sit there a while and ask myself what the heck he meant. This is not just another Holocaust story. It is a breath taking, heartbreaking and heartwarming story about surviving and sticking together don’t matter what is to happen. This book is truly amazing; if you haven’t read it please do. This is a story that is worth reading and knowing about.






My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I think it is fortunate that people like Wiesel survived the Holocaust and were able to put their experiences in writing so poignantly. This was a horrible era, but books like Night will make sure we don't forget the suffering of those affected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Elie on a show the other day. Oprah and him went back to Auschwitz/Birkenau alone (w/camera crew)and he toured the camp and shared his experience with Oprah. He could not go into the crematorium and said this was his LAST time EVER visiting the camp where he lost his family.
    When I was around 15 I took a summer course on the Holocaust. We read many books, watched movies/documentaries, heard the author of Seeds of Sarah talk at the U of Maine, etc.
    My Father fought in WW2 (he had me in his 50's) & I was fortunate for his experience and place in history.
    It makes me glad that today schools are still educating children on the Holocaust. Sadly very soon the remaining survivors will be gone. Naturally as their G_D intended. These books and movies will be all that's left.
    Thank you for this wonderful and enlightening posts.
    Bella's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS