April 11, 2013

Book Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn




Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Series: Standalone
Pages:288
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date:March 12th,2013
Purchase: Amazon| Barnes & Noble




Summary:

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.






Finding out that this author passed away really made me so upset after I finished Poison because it is truly a masterpiece. I would like to say that Miss Zinn did her job so well! This book kept me smiling the whole way through and this is a story that will definitely stick with me. Poison reminds me of the old fairytales that was read to me when I was a little girl. This story really brings me back to those days when I was amazed by the magic and happily ever after in those stories. This story was honestly no different, but had its own style that made it unique and one of those things was the well-developed characters.

Kyra, the heroine in this story, was one tough cookie and super cool. She was a relatable, fun, loveable, character as well. She worked with potions and made me feel like I was in some kind of Halloween movie. After attempting to kill the princess, Kyra is left fleeing from the King’s army, her ex- boyfriend Hal and ex- best friend, Ned. While fleeing she stumbles upon some characters who she takes her journey with. With this being said she takes her journey with a very loveable guy, Fred, and 2 animals – Rosie and Fred’s dog. Rosie by the way is the best animated pig ever. Oh my gosh she was so cute and intelligent and just made my day with her charm. I never knew I could love cute little pigs so much! Fred and Kyra had so much chemistry, but in a nice loving way.

The one thing that captured me throughout the story line was that it felt as if it was a mix of a bunch of different fairytales. I could definitely see the hint of Rapunzel in this story, seeing as her friend, the princess, was locked up almost her whole child hood while all the other kids where outside playing. Also, at the end she does a very distinctive thing that Rapunzel does to her hair as well ;) While, this all seems like your average fairytale, it’s not! Remember looks can be deceiving! 

While the ending was definitely interesting, one thing that really bothered me was that certain things were never mentioned about Kyra ,the main character, until the very end. This was a shock because normally things about your main character are introduced in the very beginning. I have to say that is the only thing that bothered me about this story, but in an interesting way because it definitely gave the beginning a little bit more clarity. I think I might be a fantasy junkie now because I absolutely loved this story and want to read more like it.

If you have any doubts about reading this book, you shouldn’t! Give it a try! It’ll make you feel like a little kid all over again – amazed by the magic and a simple, but unique love story. This story might be one of my favorites and just writing this review puts a smile on my face. It honestly makes me so sad that Ms.Zinn cannot write more amazing stories like this one because I am definitely in love with the writing style and this book! If you like fairytales you should defiantly read this book because it is for you!

This book was a traditional, simple fantasy novel, but elegant in a way that still kept me on the edge of my toes hoping for the best.







Also guys, I decided to switch up the review format because the old one just wasn't cutting it for me and I felt like I could do better.! Do you think this format is better than the old one? 
Tell me what you think below.( Please I need your feedback)


I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Book Review Blogs.

1 comment:

  1. Since I'm a huge fan of fairytales, this book definitely sounds like my cup of tea! :) I think I'm going to like Kyra, because she has all the aspects I love in a character.

    Awesome review and yes, it's so sad that the author passed away :( It's such a shame she can't see how many people adore her work.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS