February 1, 2013

Arc Review:Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton



Blaze(As love in the time of supervillains)
Author: Laurie Boyle Crompton
Series: Standalone
Pages: 320
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: February 1st,2012
Source:  Thanks so much to Sourcebooks for providing me with an arc copy to review. It was amazing!
Summary:

Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now...


My review:

I have wanted to read Blaze, formally known as Fan girl, since I first found out about it. Ahh Okay so I used to have a little teensy comic obsession when I was in about 5th or 6th grade though I never looked at any superhero stuff. Reading this, makes me want to go make into that comic obsession. Seriously.

First, this book starts off kind of as a romance. As her budding romance with Mark, progresses it unfortunately shatters and Mark becomes... well a shark. Hence is name, Mark the Shark.  At first, I kind of really liked Mark,being the hottie coach to her brother’s team and the flirting, but then I really started to dislike him. He became an argent high school boy trying to get with girls. He came off as nice until he got what he wanted and totally starting dissing her. P.s. I promise I’m not spoiling anything this is in the summary.

Blaze is the kind of girl who is nerdy and geeky, but doesn’t mind being invisible for the most part until she meets Mark. She really has to overcome her obstacles of finding herself once more. She tries to change and does things to try to get Mark’s attention, which quite honestly got aggravating at some point because she was being something she’s not and I was routing for her to succeed, but it wasn’t unbearable because I really liked Blaze.

Also, before I go any further I have to mention the guys. Josh, Blaze’s little brother, is the sweetest little brother. I loved him so much. He looked out for his sister and always knew how to cheer her up and looked out for her like an older brother would do instead of little brother.  He always stood up for her and it made me so happy and awed. Dylan was so funny he was always doing something ridiculous and they were all just great aspect of the story because they really lightened the mood and made me smile throughout the story.  As for Blaze’s friends, Ugh Amanda. I kind of still strongly dislike her. If it wasn’t for her things wouldn’t have played out the way they did and she is a dislikeable character in my opinion. At least her other friend,Terri, was a good friend and tried to help her and was always there for her.  Quentine was also a pretty epic character because she opened up and could let out her inner geek with him ;)

Towards the end my heart lightened up and I was supper proud of Blaze. She morphed into a strong, protagonist and really found herself in a sense.  I think this is an awesome sorry. The fact that it involves friendship, relationships, family, and comics, is amazing and makes it one interesting story you won’t want to miss. So, be sure to catch Blaze and her hectic life in this coming of age story as she battles her way through her intertwining worlds – reality and comics.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 Towers



* SourceFire Books has given me one arc copy for a fair and honest review of this book. I was in no way compensated for my review.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like it has such a diverse range of characters. I have a feeling I'd hate Mark and Amanda, but Josh, Dylan and Quentin all sound amazing. I'm glad Blaze developed into this strong protag as well. Lovely review, Gabby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I followed your blog via GFC. I was hoping that you could come check out my blog too? I would really appreciate a follow back. I really love your theme! I'm fairly new and I blog about books and music. :)
    Thanks heaps!
    http://musicplusbooks.blogspot.com.au/
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS